Events

CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)
Due to the novel Coronavirus, the dates for the forums have not been finalised. We will continue to monitor the progression of the virus and give an update accordingly.

25 and 30 April 2021

Opening and Closing Ceremonies

Garfield Sobers Gymnasium, Wildey, St. Michael.

The Garfield Sobers Gymnasium is one of the main government-owned indoor sporting facilities. It is situated northeast of the ABC Highway within the Sir Garfield Sobers Sports Complex, and can accommodate close to 5,000 people.

In addition to sporting events, the Gym has also hosted major concerts, exhibitions, graduation ceremonies and religious services.

It is named in honour of Barbados’ cricketing hero and only living National Hero, the Rt. Excellent Sir Garfield Sobers.

26 - 30 April 2021

Main Conference

Ministerial meetings

Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre, Two Mile Hill, St. Michael.

The Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre (LESC) is the largest stand-alone conference facility on the island of Barbados. Established in August 1994, this meeting venue quickly became the premier conference venue in the Caribbean and has been duly rewarded over the years for its quality service and versatile facilities. These awards include the ‘Caribbean’s Leading Conference Centre’ by the World Travel Awards (2003-2006 & 2009) and the ‘Achievement of Excellence – Support Services’ in the Barbados Tourism Awards 2009.

23 - 24 April 2021

Global Commodities Forum

Hilton Barbados Resort

Hilton Barbados Resort was built on the site of the 17th century Fort Charles, part of the UNESCO World Heritage list. It boasts the largest hotel meeting space in Barbados.

The hotel is set on a peninsula with two white sand beaches. All rooms offer private balconies overlooking the Caribbean Sea. Suites offer separate work and rest areas. Resort facilities include a spa, free water sports, three floodlit tennis courts and a fitness centre.

23 - 24 April 2021

Civil Society Forum

Coleridge and Parry School

The Coleridge and Parry School at Ashton Hall, St. Peter, represents the amalgamation of two schools – the Coleridge School and the Parry School.

These schools were named after the first two Anglican bishops of Barbados, William Hart Coleridge and Thomas Parry.  Both of them were interested in the education of the various classes in the society, and gave some of their personal allowance to help build the schools.

The two schools were established by the Anglican Church sometime between 1825 and 1852, and were recognized by the colonial government in 1881 as secondary grammar schools for boys. The Coleridge School was built opposite the St. Peter Parish Church rectory, and the Parry School opposite the St. Lucy Parish Church.

In 1952, the schools were merged in the interest of greater efficiency, and the new entity was named the Coleridge and Parry School. The new school was built on the present site on five acres of flat land bought from Ashton Plantation. It is situated just north east of Speightstown, on a picturesque ridge overlooking the Port St. Charles and Port Ferdinand Marinas. Coleridge and Parry transitioned from an all-boys school to a co-educational institution in 1981, and currently caters to over 900 students.

The school’s motto is “Palmam Qui Meruit Ferat” (Let Those Who Excel Receive The Prize).

23 - 24 April 2021

Creative Industries Forum

Queen’s Park, Bridgetown.

Queen’s Park, located in the capital Bridgetown, is a national park in Barbados. The historic park was the former home of the Commander of the British Troops stationed in Barbados for the West Indies.

Today, Queen’s Park accommodates a Steel Shed, a pool & fountain, beautiful gardens and a sports ground where sports like cricket are played, a playground for children and a gazebo. Queen’s Park House, located inside the park, is a two-story structure which was built in 1786. The well-preserved Queen’s Park House is now home to the Daphne Joseph Hackett Theatre and the Queen’s Park Gallery.

23 - 24 April 2021

Gender and Development Forum

Errol Barrow Centre for Creative Imagination

University of the West Indies, Cave Hill, St. Michael.  

The Errol Barrow Centre for Creative Imagination (EBCCI) is the Creative Arts Centre of the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies. The EBCCI provides creative academic training in the arts, primarily in dance, film and theatre and the minor in music.

The youngest of the Creative Centres of the University of the West Indies, EBCCI is the only one to present a Bachelor of Fine Arts, and training in film, providing an exploration in to the practical and theoretical concept in the arts in the Caribbean context, with international perspectives.

It is named in honour of Caribbean statesman the Rt. Excellent Errol Walton Barrow, the first Prime Minister of Barbados.

23 - 24 April 2021

Trade Digitisation Forum

Frank Collymore Hall, Central Bank of Barbados, Bridgetown.

The Frank Collymore Hall is Barbados’ premier Performing Arts Centre and Cultural Complex. It includes a series of performing arts spaces, reception areas, exhibition and meeting room spaces and museums. The centrepiece is the Hall, a technically advanced and acoustically superior venue that seats 490 persons.

The complex was built by the Central Bank of Barbados and opened in September 1986.It is a key component of the Bank’s Support of the Arts Programme, the vision of which is epitomized in the words of Pablo Picasso on the plaque by the steps to the Hall. “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

The Hall is named in honour of the late Frank Appleton Collymore, renowned teacher, actor, writer, editor, poet, and artist.

23 - 24 April 2021

Youth Forum

The Lodge School, Society, St. John.

The Lodge School was established and opened on 9 September 1745 as a result of the philanthropic bequest of Christopher Codrington, a Barbadian-born British soldier and owner of Codrington and Society Plantations in Barbados.

The school had its origin at the site of Codrington College, and was formerly called the “Codrington Grammar School”.  However, when the school moved to its present site at Society in 1829, it was housed in a building called the Chaplain’s Lodge.  Over time, it became simply known as “The Lodge School”.

The Lodge School was originally a boarding establishment for boys only.  It has catered to children from across the entire Caribbean, North and South America, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia. The first girls were accepted into the sixth form in 1974.  Girls were not educated at the Lodge School for the entirety of their school career until 1980, when they entered the first forms.

The school’s motto is “Possunt Quia Posse Videntur”, Latin for “They can because they think they can.”

20 - 30 April 2021

Village Marketplace

Two Mile Hill, St. Michael.

The land directly opposite the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre is being transformed into a Bajan village to host the Village Marketplace and Food Court.

It will provide Barbadian crafts-persons with space to display and sell their craft. Selected local craftspersons and food vendors would be operating at the site, while the venue will also feature the talent of young Barbadian entertainers on the main stage.